[LRUG] Your Code is My Hell

Anthony Green anthony.green at bbc.co.uk
Sun Sep 4 04:32:49 PDT 2011

Paul Robinson wrote:

> To use a metaphor, Ruby isn't Catholicism. It's Zen. Each programmer
> needs to find their own path, and for each developer the result might
> feel a little different with each step, but we all know what we're
> heading for: flowing, elegant code that you can confidently refactor. It
> is freedom from the decisions of past or the plans of the future and to
> work with the present, here and now.

It's odd that you describe code as "flowing, elegant code" it's one of
those notions that I encountered a great deal in that "Ruby Way" period.
I remember Marcel Molina talking about 'What makes code beautiful?'†.
This was an attitude I hadn't previous encountered in other language
communities.

My issue with the Zen arguement is that it's far too often a facade for
having no discipline rather that having a or many discipline(s). I feel
much happier with Alistair Cockburn's advice relating to Shuhari and
adopting a multidisciplary approach.††

† http://rubyhoedown2007.confreaks.com/session09.html

††
http://confreaks.net/videos/343-rubyweb2010-the-7-habits-of-highly-successful-samurai-and-how-that-helps-rubyists