[LRUG] Queuing systems

Sean O'Halpin sean.ohalpin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 06:18:13 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:18 AM, George Ornbo <george at shapeshed.com> wrote:

> In terms of technology why Ruby? Isn't this the kind of scenario that is
> just plain hard to do in Ruby and technologies like Erlang or node.js are
> better at?

I respectfully disagree. It's a common assumption that because "Ruby
is slow" that it cannot handle this kind of load. It's simply not
true. I was able to handle the Twitter firehose volume (about 1000
tweets or 2MB a second) in Ruby with no problems. I tested that
solution and found it could handle up to 20K tweets/sec (40MB/sec). So
unless you are handling banking transactions or the LHC data feed Ruby
is quite fast enough.