[LRUG] Ru3y Manor diversity

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Mon Sep 19 13:40:10 PDT 2011

On 19 Sep 2011, at 21:29, Matthew Rudy Jacobs wrote:

> I do think it's strange to focus on such things, when they've never been a problem.
> Maybe its a good to think about them before the problem occurs, but....
>
> Ruby Manor is all about Community.
>
> An event that hands its organisation over to the community,
> (to all members of that community who choose to get involved)
> is already in a much better place than an O'reilly conference.
>
> Let's focus our efforts on putting together a great set of talks,
> and trust ourselves to offer to proper respect to each other.

I truly hope that you are right; that said it's worth noting that the gist of the post Sam mentioned[1] is that we may not perceive problems because we might not be able to easily recognise them.

It's hard to ask these kinds of questions directly ("You - there - do you feel inhibited from contributing to our open community? Oh? Why?"), but at the very least it's good to be publicly thinking about them.

[1]: https://sindeloke.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/37/