[LRUG] Using statistical tables with Rails

Gerhard Lazu gerhard at lazu.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 04:07:48 PDT 2011

Richard, I've tried the pure ruby driver approach for mongo, it requires a
lot of work if you want to keep it pretty. Depends what you're doing, but
even with 3-4 collections and simple relationships, an ORM makes life easy
with little effort.

Mongoid with some sensible decisions worked best for us, only about 20%
slower than using the driver directly (I went crazy on the benchmarks). If
you write the app using EM (em pool the connections), you'll hardly notice
the 20% difference.

This is my 2nd large-ish production mongo & redis pure MRI app, I've been
both places : ).

Gerhard