[LRUG] Queuing systems

Stevie Graham stevie at twilio.com
Thu Sep 8 00:19:09 PDT 2011

I can appreciate the advantages that Erlang might have over Ruby with its distributed and highly concurrent orientation, but I can't say the same about Node. Node is fast but so are some Ruby VMs, n.b. the excellent work Charles Nutter has been doing recently with JRuby and InvokeDynamic.

Also there are practical things to consider when choosing an ostensibly more suitable language:

- Your team are experts in the adequate language Foo but have zero experience with the more suitable yet radically different language Bar. You're making delivery more difficult than necessary by asking your team to learn a new language as they go. The code probably will not be the greatest and some of your team will be unhappy with the choice for various reasons.
- The full benefit of choosing a different language or paradigm is unlikely to be extracted unless the team fully understands it. This takes time. See previous point.
- Difficulty in recruiting experienced talent in less popular languages.
- Libraries

Sidebar: This thread is great. Very interesting.

Stevie Graham (@stevegraham)
Developer Evangelist
Twilio, Inc