[LRUG] Battleship: Ruby Fight Club

Simon Coffey simon at tribesports.com
Tue Sep 13 06:53:14 PDT 2011

On 13 September 2011 14:14, David Salgado <david at digitalronin.com> wrote:

> For me, tracking the board state is not an interesting part of the
> problem - I know I can do it, but I'd much rather the framework did it
> for me because that means I can focus on the interesting (to me) parts
> of the problem - i.e. search and placement strategies.

When I played as a kid, we never told someone when they'd sunk a whole
ship; only whether a particular shot was a hit or not. They had to
work out whether a ship was sunk for themselves.

So I'd go the other way, and remove the "ships_remaining" argument.
That would restore the ability to have a stateless player, and also
make the required search strategy more interesting.

Of course it may be that my childhood games were played in error.
Certainly there turn out to be far fewer Monopoly rules than I
remember about paying double rent to people with beards; when pressed
my dad insists it was a limited edition.

Cheers,
Simon