[LRUG] Ru3y Manor diversity

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 02:11:51 PDT 2011

On 20 September 2011 07:41, Steve Tooke <steve.tooke at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Paul Robinson <paul at 32moves.com> wrote:
>
>> I can see why you might think that, but I think many of us who are
>> interested in redressing the balance of inequality in the sector would
>> disagree with you.
>>

> For anyone interested in this its worth watching Erin O'Brien's 'Where are
> all the Women?' talk from the Scottish Ruby Conference this year.
>
> I haven't watched this, but I will, and maybe it'll give me some answers or
point me in the right direction.

However one thing that's striking (and I presume, at least partly my fault
for not directly addressing it.  Somehow?  I don't know how.) is that going
through the archives of talks on lrug.org there's not a whole lot of
diversity, except perhaps along the age-vector.

Now, for LRUG if you offer a talk there's only a couple of things that would
make me say no:

* we're already full for that month
* you gave a talk last month
* you want to talk about the same thing as someone already confirmed for
this month, or that spoke last month

And in all of those cases, I'll suggest that we just hold off and see if you
are still interested in talking at the next meeting.

I don't know how to be more open than that.  Is there something more that I
as the main organiser and we as a community can do?

Muz