[LRUG] [JOBS] Software Developer - High Throughput Gene Targeting

Asfand Yar Qazi ayqazi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:06:14 PDT 2012

Hi,

Who we are:
We are seven software developers who help a lab of 30 do its job, AND
who display / integrate the output of that lab get into the scientific
community. Our lab makes mutant Embryonic Stem Cells. They, in turn,
help scientists understand gene function. This is all funded with big
grants from the Wellcome Trust, the EU and the NIH. We work at the
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute near Cambridge.

What we do:
We write lab tracking systems, sequence analysis systems (mostly in
modern Perl / catalyst) and reporting / service integration systems /
international project trackers, mostly in Rails / Sinatra. We are
looking to use javascript more intensively. Our back ends vary from
PostgreSQL / MySQL / Oracle / MongoDB to search engines (SoLR) and
service-layers over datamarts. We also  do some classical
bioinformatics - sequence alignment, gene-structure interrogation etc.

Who we are looking to hire:
interest in working in the area is key (prior experience in
bioinformatics would help, but is not critical). Coding aptitude is
important, along with familiarity with relational databases: there are
a number of ways to fit in. We need people who can code Ruby,
Javascript, and ideally Perl.

The full job ad:

https://jobs.sanger.ac.uk/wd/plsql/wd_portal.show_job?p_web_site_id=1764&p_web_page_id=147234

I will be at April's LRUG meet-up.  I won't be attending the pub, but
I will announce this job during the meeting and I will be waiting
around after the meeting for a while if anyone would like to talk
further.

Thanks
      Asfand Yar Qazi