[LRUG] Using Ruby for semantic analysis and categorising documents - first steps?

Chris Lowis chris.lowis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 07:49:33 PDT 2012

>> I'm trying to spec out a feature at work, to sift through a load of text in
>> case studies or similar articles, and categorise them according to some
>> pre-determined criteria, and present them later to users of an app we're
>> build, to help them discover useful steps their business on take to reduce
>> emissions.

We've (BBC R&D) been doing something similar to this and have had
quite a bit of success using Wikipedia Miner[1], and have also
implemented our own term extraction code to work with noisy
speech-to-text transcripts. Happy to talk more about what we've been
doing with you if it looks like something that might help.

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://wikipedia-miner.cms.waikato.ac.nz/