[LRUG] workshop/talk: jruby & data mining

Lane, Peter p.c.lane at herts.ac.uk
Wed Aug 22 07:41:15 PDT 2012

Hi LRUG,

Members might be interested in a workshop I am running in Cambridge, 11th December 2012.

The workshop will introduce effective data-mining techniques, using jRuby as a scripting language
for some popular java-based libraries.  Also, we will work through all stages of a realistic data-mining
application, introducing those practical techniques which often stand between disappointing results
and success.

The aim of this workshop is to bridge the gap from basic knowledge to effective practice in the use
and application of machine-learning and data-mining techniques. To achieve this, the workshop will:

   1. introduce the capabilities of Java-based libraries such as libsvm and WEKA;
   2. propose Ruby as a scripting language for these libraries;
   3. demonstrate good machine-learning practice and typical experimental setups;
   4. illustrate these with a realistic application in the area of text mining or image analysis, covering
        topics such as feature selection, instance selection and model evaluation.

More details and registration at:  http://www.bcs-sgai.org/ai2012/?section=workshops

(If there's interest, I would be willing to speak on this at one of your meetings.)

  cheers,

     Peter.