[LRUG] Building a product - all the non-development stuff

Tim Harding tim at wellinformed.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 15:10:50 PST 2012

Hi James,

Stick a phone number beside your call to action on your marketing site. You'll quickly learn all the questions you need to have an answer for before someone will sign up.

Put a price on your product from day one, you'll quickly find out if people are willing to pay for it.

Don't worry about changing your price later, esp. increasing it. It's fine. We've always made sure to grandfather through our early customers though. We call them "Founder" plans or something and it makes the early adopters feel special and rewards them for taking a punt on us.

Payment in the UK is a complete charlie-foxtrot, we've had an okay experience using Recurly + PayPal Payments Pro (without the recurring billing option) to take Visa/Mastercard payments. It works fine for our predominantly domestic customers.

Do the minimum coding, it's all about the marketing, really.

Good luck,

-Tim