[LRUG] Switching from solo contractor to being a development company

Sidu Ponnappa ckponnappa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 04:42:51 PST 2012

> Has anyone made the jump from solo contractor to development company?
I didn't start as a contractor, but I *have* made a transition from
being an employed consultant (I used to be at ThoughtWorks) to running
C42 Engineering which is a small Ruby/Agile consultancy and product
firm based out of Bangalore, India.

> At some point I would quite like to run a development company, which
> might handle several projects at a time, employ other developers etc.
I think my very first question would be "Why do you want to run a
company instead of doing contract work?"

What you wish to achieve through running a company will shape the kind
of company it is, which in turn affects your other questions around
lead generation etc.

On a side note, if anybody here finds this thread OT for the list,
please let me know, and I will correspond directly with Luke.

Best,
Sidu.
http://c42.in
http://rubymonk.com