[LRUG] Switching from solo contractor to being a development company

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 06:45:51 PST 2012

I have found really helpful to join a group of freelance (enspiral.com)
developers and designers where the finds work and takes the 20% and the
developer the rest. The 20% is used to find more customers, pay a person to
do the financial part. There are business developers too. I a couple of
years the number of developers, designers are more than 40. The 20% has
never been used by the founders as dividends, but to help the company or to
support no-profit initiatives. This could be an alternative model where the
members can choose the time the can commit in a project and do your job
instead for having to border with balance sheets and find new contracts.
You will not become rich, but at least it is possible to be involved in
more than one project at time. Enspiral is trying to see if there are other
companies abroad interested in joining the network (it's a NZ company) and
a company in Hong Kong has been formed last month.

This could be an alternative solution to the current system.

On 16 February 2012 15:19, nicolas alpi <nicolas.alpi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wise investment ;)
>
> For the moment I never had to search for a client in 3 years, it's always
> coming from word to mouth and people usually contact me. I've got client a
> bit everywhere in the UK, few in France and Belgium, and one in SF.
>
> Having say that, I've always marketed myself, even when solo. And I think
> I have a slightly advance because I'm French (so is my wife) so usually
> people remembers me as "the french man" they met somewhere. And as they is
> not a lot of French man doing web stuff in Bristol, well it's easier to
> find me.
>
> I run different groups here in Bristol (Weekly freelance meetup, Bristol
> web dev hack night, and Bristol Ruby User Group) plus I've got some pet
> projects that usually dies in a few month but keep people interested in my
> profile.
>
> With WADC, we have a few ideas, the first one having been freelancearound (
> http://www.freelancearound.com/) but it didn't work as expected :$
>
> We'll start to run some monthly workshops under our name in May this year
> with various subject (How to start as a freelance, git for designers,
> advanced git, vim for the rest of us ....) and we already have some of our
> clients sponsoring us.
>
> So yea, I think you should always keep in mind that being solo or being a
> company is not that different, you should always market yourself, it's just
> the content message.
>
> But the good thing when you market yourself this way (ie: the clients
> knows you before you know him), it means that you usually don't have to
> sell yourself when comes the project. They have a project A, with X
> requirements, $ budgets, and they ask you if you're interested.
>
> my 2 cents
>
> Nic
> --
> Nicolas Alpi, web developer, cookies eater
> http://www.wealsodocookies.com
>

> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:05 PM, luke saunders <luke.saunders at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> That's good advice Nic.
>>
>> I have invested £7.41 into my new venture and bought the book. I have
>> some meetings coming up over the next month with people who are possibly
>> interested in working with me in May, so I will try out the 'in transition
>> from solo to team' approach and see how it goes.
>>
>> Can I ask though, do you (and others on the list) actively generate leads
>> and try to sell, or do clients always find your company through your
>> site/Twitter etc and approach you first?
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM, nicolas alpi <nicolas.alpi at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Luke, it's funny because I did the transition few month ago.
>>>
>>> I was (am) a solo developer, and my wife is a project manager. We
>>> decided to combine our skills to take more project on board, so we create
>>> we also do cookies limited.
>>>
>>> Basically I have my client, and she manages the project, invoice,
>>> requirements and everything, but I keep the daily communication with my
> [...]

Riccardo Tacconi
Ruby on Rails and PHP development - System Administration
VIRTUELOGIC LIMITED

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://riccardotacconi.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/rtacconi