[LRUG] Creating spreadsheets with programmatically formulas baked into them - already done in Ruby?

Chris Adams mail at chrisadams.me.uk
Thu Feb 16 08:12:00 PST 2012

Hi all,

I'm curious about how one might go about generating a downloadable
spreadsheet for Excel or Openoffice, where formulae inside it are
generated server side, depending on what a user has requested
beforehand in a Rails 3 app.

Yeah, it *is* a bit of an oddball request, but I figured I can't be
the first person to want to do this, and I already see a few related
gems on rubyforge:

http://rubydoc.info/gems/spreadsheet-excel/0.3.5.1/frames
http://rubygems.org/gems/parseexcel
http://spreadsheet.rubyforge.org/
http://rubygems.org/gems/roo

Of these, Roo looks the most promising, but still, generating formulas
seems to be something that isn't implemented yet.

http://rubydoc.info/gems/roo/1.10.1/frames

Has anyone else on the list forayed into this territory before? Any
pointers? Or should I run screaming from this problem before it's too
late?

Thanks,

Chris

--