[LRUG] Freelancer holiday cover partnership

Paul Robinson paul at 32moves.com
Thu Feb 16 03:11:07 PST 2012

On 16 Feb 2012, at 10:49, Jonathon Horsman wrote:

> I expect there must be a few freelance developers out there who have clients requiring ongoing cover. What cover do you provide your clients when you go away on holiday?

Me and a friend used to cover each other - we had access to each other's git repos, server passwords, etc. and so would provide light support if urgent for each other.

We also had an agreement that if one of us was hit by a bus, the other would take over the running of the company and manage it as per the estate's needs, either to sell it or to wind it down.

Ruby on Rails actually makes this ridiculously easy: there is a standard app layout, most of us have decent test coverage which documents the behaviour, it's not actually the problem it would have been 10 years ago.

If you don't have a buddy who is au fait with the tech, then I'd suggest those of you freelancing form some sort of holiday cover/insurance guild - would give a lot of peace of mind to clients.

Paul