[LRUG] Switching from solo contractor to being a development company

luke saunders luke.saunders at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 05:46:43 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Sidu Ponnappa <ckponnappa at gmail.com> wrote:
>> At some point I would quite like to run a development company, which
>> might handle several projects at a time, employ other developers etc.
>
> I think my very first question would be "Why do you want to run a
> company instead of doing contract work?"
>
> What you wish to achieve through running a company will shape the kind
> of company it is, which in turn affects your other questions around
> lead generation etc.

I like doing a range of stuff, for example managing client
requirements to deliver a stable platform, on time, which does not
require much maintenance. And dealing with designers and UX people,
pushing back on things which have negative technical implications. I
am doing this for my current contract and I think I'm pretty good at
it. So I'd like to continue doing this for future projects and
starting a company which delivers whole projects seems like a good way
to achieve that.

My current client would be okay with a company dealing with ongoing
maintenance as long as they were dealing with me. But I would never
have got that job in the first place if I'd replied to them saying 'I
am the CEO of X' rather than just being an independent dev.