[LRUG] LRUG in March

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 08:47:29 PST 2012

Hi all,

Our March meeting will be on Monday 12th March.  I know it seems soon, but
we were time-shifted forward by a week for Feb.  Registration with Skills
Matter is available here:
http://skillsmatter.com/event-details/home/lrug-march-1331/js-3737

Stuart Eccles offered to run a Fishbowl panel discussion about approaches
to TDD.  It's something a bit different and it's a while since we did an
event that wasn't just a bunch of presentations, so I think it'll be fun.

A fishbowl panel is run with 5 chairs, 1 of which is empty.  People in the
chairs can speak and the audience is encouraged to get involved by getting
up and claiming the empty chair.  As soon as the empty chair is claimed,
one of the existing panel members must vacate their chair and return to the
audience, and so, we get to cycle through several speakers and viewpoints.

If you think you might want to be part of the initial panel please get in
touch (on list, or to me or Stuart directly).  Particularly if your
viewpoints on TDD could be considered in anyway controversial ;).  Note, I
don't think we want to rehash the tools debates about Test::Unit vs. RSpec
or Cucumber vs. raw-ruby, we're more interested in debates about approach.

All that said, I'm sure Stuart will let us know what he's looking for from
the initial panelists, and explain any deviations from the format I've
described above.  For example we have talked about having the initial
panelists give short presentations about their viewpoints to seed the
conversation.

Registration:
http://skillsmatter.com/event-details/home/lrug-march-1331/js-3737 Skills
Matter are getting more strict about registrations, so please do sign up
with them if you are planning on coming.  I know the Feb meeting was a bit
confusing, what with registration and waiting lists and all that.  I can't
promise anything, but I'll be chatting with them about possible
improvements to the process (auto confirm, etc...).

Write up on lrug.org:
http://lrug.org/meetings/2012/02/26/march-2012-meeting/

Event on lanyrd: http://lanyrd.com/2012/lrug-march/

Cheers,