[LRUG] Making your tests run fast enough?

Joel Chippindale joel.chippindale at econsultancy.com
Tue Jan 24 01:57:08 PST 2012

Test speed seems to be a perennial issue for our team.

Currently running a single spec file in our rails (v3.0, running under REE)
app takes about 20 seconds and running a single cucumber scenario 30+
seconds. This is too slow for comfortable test driven development/design.

We've recently started using the spec_no_rails pattern (as outlined by
Corey Haines here
http://www.confreaks.com/videos/641-gogaruco2011-fast-rails-tests) to avoid
specs in couple of seconds (i.e. fast enough). However this currently only
applies to the small subset of our specs that we have isolated from rails.
We'd like it if all our tests ran this fast.

How fast are your tests/specs/cucumber? Are they fast enough for you? If
they are, what have you done to make this so?

J.

--
Joel Chippindale
CTO - http://econsultancy.com