[LRUG] Last exit status in bash prompt

Andrew Stewart boss at airbladesoftware.com
Tue Jan 10 04:22:26 PST 2012

On 9 Jan 2012, at 15:20, Andrew Stewart wrote:
> I'm having trouble incorporating the exit status of the last command into my bash prompt.  My prompt executes a couple of commands to display the current Ruby version and the current git status, and then I want to use the exit status of the last command to control the colour of the final character (e.g. $).

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.  It was interesting looking at the different solutions.  In the end I went with Viktor's method of setting up PS1 in PROMPT_COMMAND.

https://github.com/airblade/dotfiles/blob/master/bash/prompt

As for switching to zsh, I've intended to ever since reading "From Bash to Z Shell" by Kiddle, Peek, and Stephenson about three years ago!  One day I'll switch.

Thanks again,
Andy
-------
http://airbladesoftware.com