[LRUG] Making your tests run fast enough?

Paul Robinson paul at 32moves.com
Tue Jan 24 03:01:56 PST 2012

On 24 Jan 2012, at 10:56, James Cumming wrote:

> I find the same thing with my tests. My request specs and model specs take about 10 - 20 secs, but I have been moving as much of my code to the lib folder and sometimes even to app/extensions folder and testing this with the specs_no_rails approach.

This is exactly what Tom Clements advocated in his Magrails talk:

Video with crap audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oim2goFYCs
Blog post background: http://tom-clements.com/blog/2011/10/23/4-steps-to-faster-rails-tests/

It's where I'm heading at the moment as well and found when not sure where to start on this process, just considered it part of the "refactor" step in the red/green/refactor of my code.

Paul