[LRUG] User activity tracking

David Salgado david at digitalronin.com
Wed Jan 25 04:42:42 PST 2012

You might find some of John Nunemaker's articles useful, starting with this one;

    http://railstips.org/blog/archives/2011/06/28/counters-everywhere/

IMO, the most important thing to do, when you're designing a system
like this, is to make sure you have a simple receiver for the data you
are going to be logging, which is as fast as it can possibly be, and
does nothing except record the data you're going to be
storing/processing - no computation, no logic, no db lookups - just
store it, acknowledge it and wait for the next chunk.

Everything else happens out of band, so that you minimise the risk of
delaying user interactions by logging them.

Good luck

David