[LRUG] [JOBS] Job Emails

James Adam james at lazyatom.com
Wed Jan 18 06:05:02 PST 2012

On 18 Jan 2012, at 13:35, Jon Leighton wrote:

> I'd be in favour of a blanket ban on postings from recruitment agents. (As opposed to people posting an ad for the company they actually work for, which I don't mind.)

Blanket banning seems a bit to extreme to me; that people are finding jobs via the list demonstrates that there is some value in the emails for some people.

Murray and I already try to encourage relevant, specific and detailed posts whenever we are consulted before someone posts a job advert, but perhaps it's time to make those guidelines easier to find.

I think adding something to the subject is a reasonable compromise to allow effective filtering without totally eliminating the possibility of hearing about opportunities for those who are interested at any given time.

So:

* if you're posting a job advert, use [JOBS] in the subject and follow the guidelines I've thrown up here: http://lrug.org/posting-jobs
* if you are the recipient of an email from the LRUG list that you feel isn't respecting those guidelines, report it us at chat-owner at lists.lrug.org and we'll follow up appropriately.
* If you have any improvements for those guidelines, get in touch with chat-owner as above.

Bonus tip: if you're responding to a job advert double check to make sure you're not inadvertently emailing your CV to the list, which is embarrassing and effectively impossible to undo :)

Cheers,

- James