[LRUG] Job Emails

Sam Livingston-Gray geeksam at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 09:23:03 PST 2012

Disclaimer:  as a remote mostly-lurker, I shouldn't have much of a
vote on how you run your local list.  This is just my opinion.  I did
particularly enjoy Steve's recent job post, though.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Roland Swingler
<roland.swingler at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also support naming the company [...]

Ten years ago, it was the rare recruiter who would tell me the name of
the company even when I did ask, presumably for fear of
disintermediation.  Nowadays, most are happy to say so in a personal
reply.  However, as Steve pointed out, naming the company in the
initial public posting still seems a bit risky for a recruiter.
(Note, however, that it's usually just a few minutes' work to find the
company by searching on distinctive phrases from the job posting.)

I get regular inquiries from recruiters, mostly from people who've run
across my resume site.  (Pardon me, "CV"; I'm a Yank.)  Many of them
are obviously copy/paste jobs; I generally reply to those with a very
brief note, and a link to my FAQ if the job would require relocation
(FAQ #1).

On the other hand, some of them are from people who've obviously taken
the time to read my site and write something to me personally.
Sometimes they're asking for referrals (FAQ #4) or advice, and a few
of those have led to quite enjoyable conversations.  One of those then
turned into a potential job switch that I might actually consider
someday.  So while I'll agree that many recruiters can be annoying, a
blanket ban seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Besides, even though my family situation and the UK's current posture
on immigration mean that the odds of me personally getting a job
posted on this list are roughly the same as the odds of my winning the
lottery, I do like reading them, for the same reason I do occasionally
buy a lotto ticket:  it's nice to spend a few minutes imagining a
different life.

Cheers,
-Sam