[LRUG] Dedicated servers in the UK?

Lee Henson lee.m.henson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 07:40:23 PDT 2012

> Fair point. Like I say, it's not something you can't work around. I just wonder why no-one at Rackspace has said, "Hey guys, did you know our system actually requires customers to make their servers *less* secure? What's with that?"

I'm not a rackspace shareholder or anything but I've only had good
experiences with them (except for the control panel which does run
like a dog sometimes), especially the support. In case anyone
misunderstands what you've written, I think it should be spelt out
that they do not require customers to run insecure servers. The os
installation process leaves them in a less than ideal state wrt to
ssh, which you do have to fix yourself. But if you are using
configuration management tool of some sort for server provisioning
automation then this becomes a non-issue after you've created your
scripts. For first time users I guess it might catch them a little
unawares.