[LRUG] [JOBS] Help sought for short term contract project with AMEE

Chris Adams mail at chrisadams.me.uk
Mon Jul 9 04:24:14 PDT 2012

Hi LRUG,

I'll be at LRUG tonight, so I'm happy to talk about this in more detail, but there's an interesting little project at AMEE we're looking for some short term development help with, so if there are any bored, talented, immediately available freelancers looking work, it would be great to hear from you.

### The background

About a year ago, we worked on a project with a government agency to build a system to collect, process and display meter and sensor readings from a few thousand houses/offices that had been instrumented to assess their energy efficiency. My understanding of the aim to is to use this to inform future sustainable building designs in the UK.

This system we built comprised of a Ruby on Rails front end using Rails 2.3.x and MySQL, talking to a Java based platform using Cassandra to store all the time series data from the buildings, and we're now looking to update the user interface to address new customer requirements and a large increase in the end user population.

At a high level this involves changing the security model, changing the look and feel of the user interface, adding search and sort capabilities, and providing enhanced data visualisation functions.

Theres a full set of coherent user stories, and right now, we're expecting it to be a 6-8 week long contract.

### A few developer-friendly side notes

It's a Rails 2.3.x app at the moment, it's likely the work will involve upgrading the app to work with Rails 3.
Much of the time series data is stored in a format called AMON, which is largely based around JSON.

### Relevant Links

I've added a few relevant links below to give an idea of a similar project we've run, that should give some useful context to what we're building, and if you're curious about working at AMEE on more permanent basis (we're still hiring), there's a useful little gist covering my own experiences of working at AMEE since joining in September.

http://www.amee.com/customers/case-studies/amee-realtime-making-buildings-smarter
http://www.amee.com/products/ameerealtime
http://www.amee.com/blog/2012/04/27/amon-vs-sensormlom/
https://gist.github.com/2776101

### How to get in touch

I'll be around at LRUG tonight, and presumably, The Slaughtered Lamb too for a while, but failing that, the best bet would be to shoot off an email with info about day rates, github links, and availability to jobs at amee.com (mailto:jobs at amee.com), mentioning this LRUG message.

--
Chris Adams
mobile: 07974 368 229