[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby developer for new startup (Tom Blomfield)

Peter Nixey petenixey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:26:49 PDT 2012

So just out of interest would anyone on this list take equity in lieu of salary? Or to rephrase, how would you convert the present-day-value of the equity into cash?

I'm not pushing an agenda either way, just wondering. I've always assumed that people generally will require close-to their market salary but I'd be keen to know if that wasn't the case and if so when it wasn't.

BTW FWIW although I'm a dyed in the wool startupper I have observed that part of the reason people can accept stock in lieu of salary in the states is that developer rates are about double there what they are here in the first place. $80k is considered solid entrance salary with solid companies paying upper tier devs $150-200k. On high income it's easier to take the hit.

Thoughts?

-----
@peternixey
peternixey.com