[LRUG] Distributed delayed_job / resque

Glenn Gillen glenn at rubypond.com
Tue Jul 3 09:01:23 PDT 2012

I've used them both in a distributed fashion.

Resque - Worked better of the two when there were a hundred or so workers attached. My only problem with it is that it's not guaranteed to be durable. So if my Redis instance dies/restarts/whatever I need to be able to rebuild the queue. Easy enough done, just be mindful of it.
DJ - Meh. Ran into problems under heavy load. Ensuring failed jobs were removed and that there was proper indexing on the priority, run_at, etc. fields improved the situation.

I've been queue_classic for a number of months now without issue. It uses the NOTIFY event within postgres to hand work out to workers. For some reason I have more faith in something implemented at the DB level to work when I need it most.