[LRUG] Distributed delayed_job / resque

Kenneth Lee kenfodder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 09:21:13 PDT 2012

I'm using Resque using a cluster of 3+ with no problems and it's on EC2.
Obviously there is a concern of possible data loss if outstanding jobs
are lying in the queue in memory because of Redis.

Anything that is critical I tend to use a service in between to persist
it to ensure something is "safe" before throwing it in the queue and an
after job to go clean up the persisted queue once I've verified a job is
safely completed. It's expensive though under load but you can have this
only for "critical" stuff. DJ is better for this kind of thing, but in
the end it's how you plumb together you can still use Resque and Redis.

To answer the question a distributed setup shouldn't make a difference
for either DJ or Resque, the fact you can run multiple works on one
machine, almost means you can run it on many machines.

Ken