[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby developer for new startup

John Arundel john at bitfieldconsulting.com
Tue Jul 10 09:57:14 PDT 2012

On 10 Jul 2012, at 17:33, Tom Blomfield wrote:

> Why is the mention of "equity" an issue for you? Or is that tongue-in-cheek?

It was tongue-in-cheek, but there was an excellent discussion on the list last September about equity and whether or not it's a substitute for money, and if so, how much.

http://lists.lrug.org/pipermail/chat-lrug.org/2011-September/006368.html

I don't know the details of the OP's job offer. If it's market rate or more *and* equity, then great. If the equity is to compensate for a low salary, then alarm bells should be ringing. Even a large share of potentially nothing is potentially nothing.

Regards,
John
--
Bitfield Consulting: we make software that makes things work
http://bitfieldconsulting.com/