[LRUG] update_attribute deprecated on Rails 4

Alex Heaton alex at heaton.me
Sun Jun 17 14:20:24 PDT 2012

I'd say it's a tradeoff: you can't have an up-to-date non-rotten framework
unless you make changes like this. But you can't hope to upgrade your whole
application to a new major version without hiccups like this.

We're something at Enthuse (after the headache our lead dev had upgrading a
previous prototype from 2 to 3) -
It shares themes with Matt's great Hexagonal rails talk: your app is
something separate to the framework that implements it.

We're trying to keep ActiveRecord's API hidden away where we can. Plain
ruby objects like Services and Presenters do all the legwork. Hopefully,
when we upgrade to Rails 4, there will be only 1 place to change a
'update_attribute' to 'update_column' because the rest of our App uses
*our* API, not ActiveRecord's.