[LRUG] Gem to start required services

George Ornbo george at shapeshed.com
Thu Jun 14 06:28:44 PDT 2012

I experienced some memory usage issues with God [1] so switched good
ol' Monit. It is a UNIX tool that I have found to be stable and easy
to configure. It monitors processes and can check memory usage amongst
other things. You can use it in collaboration with Capistrano to
restart services on deploy like this:

  desc "Clears the cache by restarting memcached"
  task :restart_memcached do
    sudo "/usr/sbin/monit restart memcached"
  end

I've heard some people use upstart [3] in this way too. I've used
Monit to monitor resque workers in production - comes recommended by
me.

[1]: https://github.com/mojombo/god
[2]: http://mmonit.com/monit/
[3]: http://upstart.ubuntu.com/