[LRUG] Evaluating Hexagonal/SOLID Principles in Rails

Steve Tooke steve.tooke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 06:41:33 PDT 2012

On 20 Jun 2012, at 13:13, Paul Mucur <mudge at mudge.name> wrote:
> This idea of trying to implement an application or even a sliver of
> one in various different styles almost as a kata exercise is appealing
> to me. You're right that the difficulty is in picking a relatively
> atomic feature to implement but if we get that right it'd be very
> interesting to compare them. (See Gary Bernhardt's screencast on
> mutation with "Tell, Don't Ask" [0] for a small example of this.)

Steve Freeman and Jamie Dobson are running a session at SPA2012 [1] which should yield some interesting results. (It was also run at last weeks Software Craftsmanship conference, but without the time to compare results.)

Each pair builds a software enigma machine - but they can build it however they like. This results in multiple approaches to the same problem. Some TDD, some not. Some in OO languages, some functional. Some paying close attention to design, others just trying to finish the task.

They want to evaluate how the design of code is affected by the starting conditions.

We want to evaluate how the existing design of an application affects adding new functionality.

[1] http://www.spaconference.org/spa2012/sessions/session413.html

Steve

--
Sent from a device with a terrible keyboard