[LRUG] Running tech internships in startups, and doing it fairly

Chris Adams mail at chrisadams.me.uk
Fri Jun 1 01:24:54 PDT 2012

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is off-topic. I'm totally happy to take this convo elsewhere if it's beyond the remit of LRUG here.

I was at Silicon Milkroundabout last week, and I met a number of really bright young people who are either halfway through their degrees, or looking for internships to gain a degree of experience and exposure to working in a tech startup, rather than immediate employment (either they don't feel   inexperienced enough to apply for full-time positions, or they want to test the waters first).

We've been looking at running an internship programme over here at AMEE, and while there's no shortage of practices to structure an internship around for interested young engineers (for example pairing exercises, seeing how releases are planned and features, and tracking deployment afterwards), but the main thing stopping us has been struggling to find specific guidance on how to do it *fairly*.

Anyone here in small companies have run something similar successfully, with a specific tech/engineering focus here?

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris Adams