[LRUG] API automation / load testing

Ed James (Alt) ed.james.spam at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 09:48:20 PDT 2012

Hi all

We are in the early stages of building an API app, and while we don't really know what our API will look like, we do have a fairly good idea about what our data will look like. The app is simple and will simply be receiving POST requests about events, which will be JSON-encoded strings.

We are still in the prototyping phase where we want to explore some of the ideas and options we have on the table, and part of the prototyping will be testing at a moderate scale i.e. we want to be able to simulate variable volumes of traffic to see how things react, say something in the region of 500 requests/minute. Not sure, but you get the idea.

Can anyone suggest a tool we could use to automate the building and/or sending of these requests? We're looking for something like a test suite but something that can apply a heavy load too.

I'm looking at http://blitz.io, which I really like, but the drawback is I can't use it in a development environment. I've also used jMeter but it doesn't feel like the right tool and ideally I'd like something that can be saved in the apps code repository.

Any suggestions?

--
Ed James