[LRUG] Surveys on Rails

Riccardo Tacconi rtacconi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 03:21:11 PDT 2012

I have only tried this one: https://github.com/NUBIC/surveyor. However it
is a DSL and there is not any web UI to create a survey. May be the DSL
code could be created from the metadata stored in a DB, but I do not find
it very handy. From my experience users want just a 100% graphical
solution, although a DSL could be more flexible, any normal user just wants
to have some button to click on instead of having to learn some syntax. I
find Mongodb very useful, since it stores data in collections, very useful
to store the metadata of a form and the data too, since is schema-less.

I have a survey tool but it's written in PHP and it is highly coupled with
and CMS. I am developing something like a survey tool with Rails 3 and
Mongodb, but it is more a web database app and I have started few days ago,
so I think I will have something useful in few weeks not now.

On 14 March 2012 10:59, Jason Green <jason.green at dynamic50.com> wrote:

> Hey Kevin
>
> How about using google forms? Or does it need to be more bespoke than that
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 14 Mar 2012, at 09:50, Kevin Monk <kevin at mangoswiss.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello LRUGers,
> >
> > We have a requirement for a user generated survey tool so that an
> administrator can construct a questionnaire with radio buttons, textfields,
> checkboxes etc.
> >
> > It feels like we're reinventing the wheel. This might be an unusual
> request but we'd be interested in purchasing existing code if anybody has
> some kicking about in a git repo getting dusty? or if you have any advice
> on how best to approach surveys in rails?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Kevin.
> >

> > Kevin Monk
> > Technical Director
> >
> > Mango Swiss Ltd
> > Westow Hill Studios
> > 45 Westow Hill
> > Upper Norwood
> > London SE19 1TS
> >
> > E: kevin at mangoswiss.com
> > T: 020 8670 5461
> > M: 07736 066408

Riccardo Tacconi
Ruby on Rails and PHP development - System Administration
VIRTUELOGIC LIMITED

http://github.com/rtacconi
http://riccardotacconi.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/rtacconi