[LRUG] Beginning Rails in 2012

Sidu Ponnappa ckponnappa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 12:43:39 PDT 2012

+1 for starting with Ruby, not Rails, and +1 for "The Ruby Way."
Gregory "seacreature" Brown's "Ruby Best Practices" is an excellent
follow-up to "The Ruby Way." "Refactoring: Ruby Edition" is also a
nice read.

For TDD/BDD, your best bet would be to find someone that does it and
pair program. The folks at ThoughtWorks (disclosure: I used to work
there) are very friendly and organise plenty of dev events that should
make this possible.

In the absence of said pair programming option, the original TDD book
is still my favourite - Kent Beck's "Test Driven Development: By
Example." It uses Java, but if the point is learning TDD, the language
is orthogonal. Additionally, trying to get a patch/pull request
accepted to the RSpec or Minitest projects is an excellent way to
learn the currently accepted conventions in the TDD/BDD world.

You could also try out http://rubymonk.com - it teaches Ruby using
tests. (disclosure: we built this).

Regards,
Sidu Ponnappa.