[LRUG] Beginning Rails in 2012

Anthony Green anthony.green at bbc.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 23:29:45 PDT 2012

Tom Armitage wrote:
> Where, say, would you point as a starting point for testing/BDD in
> Ruby, given "four years of the mailing list and user group" isn't
> enough?
>
> I'm curious, because every now and then I look at Rails as an outsider
> and roll my eyes a bit...

There was a Shuhari presenatation at last year's Scottish Ruby
Conference which might be worth checking out on Confreaks

I would teach Rack and Sinatra before Rails.
I would encourage developers to think about deferred options and the
notion of inheriting technical debt from other people's gems.

Depending on what you value and your project needs teaching some clean
code practices might be preferable to quick and dirty 'this is Rails'.

Caveat emptor: I advise on training courses for BBC Future Media so my
views reflect my bias regarding the problems I see. :)

--

Anthony Green
Media Playout