[LRUG] Chat Digest, Vol 74, Issue 58

Olly Headey olly at freeagent.com
Fri Mar 23 05:06:26 PDT 2012

Chris Parsons wrote:

> Well, Eden closed :) mostly through taking on too much fixed cost and
> (with hindsight) not having a London presence...

Just picking up on this.  What about a London presence would have made the
difference?  You mean you'd have been able to hire more engineers there?

We've discussed whether this would make a difference to us (we're in
Edinburgh). If we were in London I think it's likely we'd have more
*applicants* (typical ad:
http://www.freeagent.com/company/jobs/software-engineer-ruby - hint,
hint!), but equally there is WAY more competition there so on balance it's
probably fairly similar in terms of available people (much less competition
in Scotland).  I guess it could be different in a smaller place like
Winchester, but the 'metropolitan reach' must be pretty big there
(Portsmouth, Southampton etc).

Ultimately it's a supply and demand thing - too many vacancies and not
enough engineers *with the right experience*.  By which I mean complex,
multi-service web apps like FreeAgent as opposed to more 'brochureware'
agency sites.

Hopefully this will change - we've had some excellent interns (18/19 yr
olds) who I'd hire right now if they would just see sense and quit uni :-)

Cheers,
Olly

--
Olly Headey — Co-Founder and CTO
www.freeagent.com | Follow us on Twitter @freeagent

** Accountancy Age Software Package of the Year Winner 2011 **