[LRUG] Beginning Rails in 2012

Alan Buxton alanbuxton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 02:27:47 PDT 2012

+1 for Objects On Rails.

For me part of the learning process is to get excited about what you're
learning. So I prefer to start "in the middle" - i.e. with a real-ish
application rather than learning all the abstract building blocks first. I
started learning Rails off "Practical Social Networking Sites" by Alan
Bradburne back in the day which was great and suited me far better than
Agile Development with Rails or the other books around at the time that I
also ended up having a look at. Of couse Objects On Rails assumes knowledge
of Rails and Ruby but IMHO you can look those things up as you work your way
through.