[LRUG] [OT?] online invoicing

javier ramirez jramirez at aspgems.com
Mon Mar 5 05:30:30 PST 2012

Hi,

disclaimer: this mail is completely full of shameless self-promotion

> can people recommend an online invoicing solution (for home businesses
> doing smallish gigs like myself and co.)

We offer this service at https://invoicefu.com

It's oriented to freelances and small companies with simple invoicing
needs and also to application developers who want to use invoicing as a
service instead of rolling their own solution.

You can basically create proformas (estimates) and invoices, share them
with your clients or accountant via read-only URIs or just sending a
PDF, keep client records, see pending payments and get some reports
(well, we are going to deploy the reports feature this week :p). Taxes
and currencies are configurable and the resulting PDF can be used as an
electronic invoice in the UK. There's a quite small but handy mobile app
available that we hope to improve soon.

If you are on Heroku and you want to access programatically to the API,
there's an extension available.

If you want to do something fancy with your data, you can use the API
and get JSON/XML quite easily. Examples for getting all your invoices or
client records from the command line would be

curl
https://invoicefu.com/api/accounts/3-javier-ramirez/invoices?api_key=85374e0ea4ceefa03b85374e0ef1b69a3b37b96d4ceefa0bbdb23f&format=json
curl
https://invoicefu.com/api/accounts/3-javier-ramirez/clients?api_key=85374e0ea4ceefa03b85374e0ef1b69a3b37b96d4ceefa0bbdb23f&format=json

The API is fully RESTful, including the HATEOAS constraint, and if you
were attending the session on usable APIs at LRUG, all the usability
tips I was talking about are implemented there.

It's developed in Rails 3.0.x and all the tests are green at the moment
of sending this e-mail.

javier ramírez

..i do ruby on rails development in madrid, spain, at
http://www.aspgems.com

javier ramirez's home page (http://javier-ramirez.com)
<http://javier-ramirez.com>
javier ramirez's blog (http://formatinternet.com)