[LRUG] Paid Job postings [was: Chat Digest, Vol 74, Issue 15]

Paul Robinson paul at 32moves.com
Mon Mar 12 11:54:09 PDT 2012

On 12 Mar 2012, at 17:05, Ben Aldred wrote:

> In Manchester there is a popular geek event called Geekup. It has a job board which keeps the mailing list free from most job postings and recruiter spam.
> So a job board may work for this problem although it does take a bit to administer though.

Such a large problem, that Andrew Disley has basically suspended http://jobboard.geekup.org and it has been inactive since December. I know Andrew had some plans in this space with a commercial bent, but I honestly think the main reason he stopped it was because it was so much work.

It is worth noting a valuable policy he had in place was "no agencies". It improved the quality of the jobs on there, made it a little unique resource, and the fact it was free made it very, very attractive to the Manchester IT scene.

In fact, it was so good, I'd consider re-creating it with the same policies but for the whole UK.

Paul