[LRUG] Ruby Opportunities at Wildfire/New UK Dev Office in London!

Steven Shingler shingler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 06:41:27 PDT 2012

Hi guys,

I generally don't get involved with the recruiter flaming on here, but I feel I should add some clarity on this one.

I'm heading up the London branch of the Wildfire engineering team. When we started a couple of months ago, James Tucker (our CTO in California) wrote to this list explaining what we're about and what we're trying to do.

You can find his post here: http://lists.lrug.org/pipermail/chat-lrug.org/2012-January/006846.html

For those that don't know, James is the maintainer of Rack. He also contributes to EventMachine and Rubygems itself. Other guys on our 45-strong team have contributed to Rails and other significant OSS projects.

As we all know, finding excellent Ruby developers is hard: market forces are against us. That's exactly why Wildfire have opened a London office - to tap into a new hiring pool. Our strategy has been to scour Github for London-based  developers who are using Ruby actively and expertly.

In terms of interviewing, we are really very stringent about only hiring people with excellent skills which can complement the existing team. Also, Wildfire's culture is a very important part of the hiring process - we're up on GlassDoor as one of the best places to work in the San Francisco area and we're working to establish the same kind of great working environment in London.

Just yesterday there was a TechCrunch article which shows where the company is currently at: http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/21/wildfire/ - so that gives a bit of perspective about the company as a whole.

Our approach has so far been very successful. In two months we've grown the team to 7 and I'm really excited about our next steps.

Lastly, Graham's right. I've worked with him in the past and he's a really excellent engineer. However, I know he's recently moved to Manchester and is founding his own startup. Very best of luck there, Graham. :)

I hope that helps, please give me a shout if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steven