[LRUG] [JOBS] Music Glue is hiring

Lee Henson lee at musicglue.com
Mon Mar 26 07:34:05 PDT 2012

Music Glue has several openings for enthusiastic and thoughtful developers
at a range of experience and a range of skills. I'm posting this ad to LRUG
first because ideally the people we recruit will have some good Ruby
knowledge, although we would also like someone who is confident and happy
working with PHP (so pass it on if you do). I can't really slap a specific
title like "Web Developer" on the role, we're looking for people who are
happy wearing the front-end, back-end or devops hat as the situation
requires.

Before going any further, let me tell you about the company. Music Glue is
a direct to fan digital services company, based in Camden Town in London.
In plain English, we create online tools to allow our clients to sell
products directly to consumers, bypassing traditional supply chains. The
products they sell fall with 3 categories being "tickets", "physical items"
and "digital content". Our client base consists of artists (mostly
musicians, but now some comedians and authors too), venues, concert
promoters, record labels, festivals, and we plan to expand the list of
verticals over the next few years. These clients range in size from "small
independents" all the way up to global companies.

Much like others advertising on here, I'm looking for people with the right
kind of mentality - people who are interested in continually learning and
pushing the quality and design of their systems forward. There are a lot of
very smart people out there coding and blogging about this sort of subject,
like Avdi Grimm, Gregory Brown and Steve Klabnik, and I hope I can sign up
developers who are already listening to people like these and thinking
about the subjects they discuss. Our existing team is also invested in the
idea of event sourcing and use of separate models which are optimized for
different use cases (e.g. reading and writing - 'cqrs' might trigger your
buzzword alarm but it is very relevant). If you haven't come across these
concepts before, check out bloggers like Udi Dahan and Greg Young. If they
strike a cord with you, come and speak to us.

Culturally, I hope we're a bit like other forward-thinking employers out
there. We like TDD, we try our best to be agile, we contribute to open
source when we can. I'm sure every new employee will help us improve our
processes, and I welcome their ideas and advice.

Finally, I guess it's always handy to see exactly the sorts of technologies
being used to help candidates get a better feel for the role, so here we go:

- Rubies: YARV 1.9.3, JRuby 1.6.7
- Server-side: Rails 3, Sinatra, MongoDB, Mongoid, RabbitMQ, RSpec,
Varnish, Nginx, WordPress + many more
- Client-side: Coffeescript, jQuery, Jasmine
- Deployment: Capistrano, Chef, Rackspace Cloud
- iOS / Android: not yet, but planned

Salary will vary with experience, but it will be very competitive for
London. We really only want to hear from people who can make it into Camden
every day, and we are happy to look into sponsorship if any overseas
visitors who are already here wish to prolong their stay in the UK.
Unsolicited calls from recruiters will be swiftly rebuffed.

If you are interested, please contact me via my email below. A CV would be
great, but I'm particularly interested in hearing about what you've been
working on in the last few years. I'm sure you've got a GitHub account, so
point me at that too.

And finally, yes, I know our www.musicglue.com site is abominable. It's not
quite as bad as Ling's Cars, but I do still worry that it will put people
off. It'll be gone soon, but let me just state on the record that new
employees will not be working on that! If you want a better representation
of some of the things we do, you might check out:

http://www.musicglue.net/imogenheap
http://www.entershikari.com/store/

....however that's all WordPress-based. The projects you would be working
on are not publicly visible at the moment, but I look forward to showing
you when you come in for a chat. Thanks for listening! :D

Lee Henson
Music Glue CTO
lee at musicglue.com
https://github.com/leemhenson