[LRUG] [JOBS] Full time rails dev wanted for www.playmob.com

Martin Grenfell martin at theplaymob.com
Tue May 1 05:21:38 PDT 2012

Hey all,

I'm a rails developer for a company called Playmob that is based in
London. We are looking for another full time rails dev to work on our
product - a platform that facilitates connecting games, and in game
purchases, to charities.

I should point out that, even though this is a London rails group, we
will consider candidates that wish to work remotely - provided they are
awesome. I currently work in Bristol and catch the train in once every
week or two for meetings and whatnot with the rest of the posse.

I have pasted in the ad below. Send your cv to martin at theplaymob dot
com if you are interested :)

------

*Ruby on Rails Developer
****
A revolutionary start-up company in the web and mobile gaming space is
looking for a Ruby on Rails developer to join the development team and
get hands on with our Technical Leader to further the expansion of
PlayMob's tech platform.

We're looking for someone with extreme ambition, creative programming,
and a 'can-do' attitude.

THE OPPORTUNITY
You will join a very passionate, driven and experienced management team
who are bringing together a long-term nucleus of people who will drive
the business forward and successfully deliver a novel affiliate market
place for the games industry, on a global scale.We are looking for a
'genius of the class' -- a great coder, collaborator and inventor, all
rolled into one.

You must LOVE problem solving and taking on a challenge. You must be
able to demonstrate your RoR capabilities, your desire to build and
contribute your knowledge in this area, and your ability to work as a
team player. You will have a burning desire to succeed.

You will work on building the core platform architecture; database
optimisation; reviewing
and maintaining our APIs; and administering and maintaining the platform
servers, with special consideration towards scaling.

(you must also like pizza and beer, but we won't hold it against you if
you don't....we like sushi too)

KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:

  * Delivery of core platform components, from initial scope through to
    release and within the set roadmap development time
  * On-going maintenance and optimisation of core platform functionality
  * Write and execute code tests
  * Collaboration on platform, interface, and database structure
  * Maintain and update APIs
  * Maintain and optimise servers, with particular attention to scaling
  * Keeping fully abreast of evolving game and web technologies

ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED

  * Ruby on Rails, with a minumum of 5 years development experience
  * Experience working on projects with large volumes of traffic
  * Information Architecture
  * SysAdmin knowledge, preferrably with AWS-EC2 experience
  * Written / Maintained APIs
  * Create Tech Spec documentation
  * Tack-sharp analytical abilities and a strong sense of ownership,
    urgency, and drive.

OTHER REQUIREMENTS

  * Highly motivated with a burning desire to succeed and a great attitude.
  * A team player
  * University Degree in Computer Science or a closely related field
    (Ph.D. a plus).
  * Previous experience working on software development project,
    especially launching and maintaining a web solution.
  * Experience in dealing with large amounts of data, a rapidly
    increasing user base, and scalability issues
  * Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems and a desire to bring
    order to chaos
  * Strong appreciation of consumer needs
  * Business oriented
  * Methodical approach to work

Technology Experience

  * Ruby on Rails
  * MySQL
  * AWS -- EC2
  * Git
  * Linux

If you think you have the skills and personality to fit in to our team,
please apply by sending a cover letter and a copy of your CV to our
Technical Manager - martin at theplaymob dot com -and successful
candidates will be contacted for interview.*