[LRUG] [JOBS] Smallish "minor website-changes, new site, SEO+hosting advice, ongoing consultant" project - (near Clapham junction) ...

Steven Wilmot steven at data-utilities.co.uk
Thu May 3 15:43:15 PDT 2012

First, apologies if this has already been received . Had a bit of an issue
with the mailing-list signup and didn't know whether my first copy got
through or not.

---

I have been working for an existing client of mine for a few years, doing
various minor in-house .NET developments, and they have asked if I know of
someone who can help with their website(s).

I'm more of a server-side coder / database consultant, and
website-development isn't really my thing, but I said I'd try and help them
out.

I was at one of Guy Smith Ferrier's talks the other day at the NextGen
User-Group in Oxford, and he suggested that I get in touch with LRUG (either
in person, or via the mailing-list)

--

The client is a London-based Skiing/Winter-Sports Travel Agent (based about
10 minutes walk from Clapham Junction)

If this was a completely new project, I would probably suggest something
like ASP.NET MVC.. However, having looked at the current code, my gut feel
(as an experienced software-developer but complete ruby novice) is that it
has already been fairly well-written in Ruby, and it makes sense to keep it
that way.

.

Now for a few details:
*	Ruby-on-Rails + MySQL (I don't know the exact versions)
*	Primarily a data-driven "brochure-ware" site (no shopping-cart /
etc)
*	Site also contains a wordpress-blog (again, don't know the exact
version).
*	Currently hosted on a "shared co-located site belonging to the
previous developer"

What are they looking for:
*	Someone (or a smallish web-design company) they can work with
(and/or outsource to) on an ongoing basis (probably just small ad-hoc work
and mini-projects rather than a full-time position or contract-work)
*	Recommendations of a new hosting provider (or other options) and
someone who could help with the install / transfer
*	Some "small changes/improvements" to the existing site
*	SEO advice / recommendations.
*	Building of a second "luxury-only chalets" site (that would operate
in a "similar" manner (and perhaps share some of the code-base) to the
current-site)

There would also seem to be scope for a very small in-house intranet site to
replace a legacy database, but I think that's still a low-priority task and
possibly one for 2013

--

I'm not really looking to sub-contract here or charge an on-going
percentage-overhead.. (Just to still remain retain them as a client as an

------

So, the main question is (are)
*	Is anyone interested ?
*	Or: (Can anyone recommend someone who might be interested)

If so, please drop me an email.

Thanks in advance,

Steven Wilmot
Data Utilities Ltd
(SQL Consultancy and .NET System-Developer)