[LRUG] Upload to S3 using a remote url

George Palmer george.palmer at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:40:59 PDT 2012

Hi Ed,

There is a way to do this without flash.  I remember reading about the
technique in the S3 docs a few years back.  A quick Google bought up
this for me: http://blog.andrewbruce.net/upload-direct-to-amazon-s3-from-rails
although but there were plenty more blog posts on solving them problem
using other technologies if that's not much use.

Let me know how it goes - it's something I've been meaning to add to
my app for years now,

George

On 16 May 2012 18:24, Ed James (Alt) <ed.james.spam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I currently allow users to upload files through my web app, which are pushed
> directly to my S3 bucket using a flash uploader. The flash object uploads
> the file directly to S3. I cannot modify this flash object.
>
> I now want to be able to let the user simply provide a url to the file they
> want to upload. Typically these files can be very large (1GB+) so I cannot
> simply download the file to my web server and then push it to S3. I need the
> upload to work without going through my server cache or filesystem. As far
> as I know it's not possible to have S3 initiate the download by providing a
> url.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
>
> --
> Ed James
> Sent with Sparrow

George Palmer