[LRUG] [JOBS] Ruby and Javascropt developers wanted!

Tim Cowlishaw tim at timcowlishaw.co.uk
Thu May 17 04:55:47 PDT 2012

Hi there all,

I'm currently contracting at a great little company called MSP
(http://mediasp.com) who are desperate for some more (permanent)
developers to join us. I've also worked here as a permanent employee
in the not-too-distant past, back when we were called Playlouder, and
can vouch for the fact that it's a great place to work.

We make an online music service (a la Spotify, Rdio, and the like)
that we sell as as a white-label service to ISPs, who provide it to
their customers. We have deals with all four major labels (as well as
the majority of the indies) and are already running successful
services for customers in Canada and the Republic of Ireland. We're
now in a position where we're rolling out services to more customers,
as well as supporting our existing ones, and it's more work than our
team of 4 devs, 1 sysadmin and 3 business-types can handle.

The main customer-facing service is a thick-client javascript
application (we use Dojo to handle many of the details), which talks
to a JSON REST API written in Ruby. We don't use Rails for the main
application (we've rolled our own lightweight library for exposing
resources over HTTP [1]), but have some smaller applications that use
it, so while we're looking for a general purpose software engineer
rather than a Rails developer specifically, rails skills certainly
wouldn't hurt. Aside from the main customer facing application we've
also got several systems dealing with music ingestion, billing and
royalty reporting that are under active development, so there are many
and varied challenges to work on.

We're very keen on doing object-oriented design well, and to that end
we've several open source projects to help with this [2], therefore
we'd like to find someone with a solid understanding of and
appreciation for OO principles. We test thoroughly, and have a very
relaxed, developer-led culture - you'll be encouraged to share in
ownership of the product and help drive its functionality, rather than
just implementing features dreamt up by someone else.

We don't do capital-A agile, but have evolved our own (agile-ish with
a sprinling of Kanban) way of working that's served us well so far.
We're looking for a developer rather than an ops person, but if you're
interested in that side of things, our infrastructure's very
interesting, and we have one of the best sysadmins I've ever worked
with, so you'll learn loads here if you're that way inclined.

Therefore, if you're a bright and passionate ruby or javascript
developer (or both! - however one on its own would certainly be useful
enough) who likes a challenge, with a love of music and a solid
grounding in Computer Science and Software Engineering, you should
definitely talk to us. If you've got any questions, or would like an
informal chat to learn more about us, please get in touch with me,
otherwise, if you'd like to go straight to applying, get in touch with
my colleague Marc (marc at mediasp.com) with CV, github URL and/or
anything else you feel would be appropriate.

Thanks!

Tim