[LRUG] Best/worst open source Ruby CMS?

Murray Steele murray.steele at gmail.com
Mon May 14 07:17:15 PDT 2012

On 14 May 2012 11:43, Sean O'Halpin <sean.ohalpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd be grateful for any opinions (with reasons) on what are the best
> (or worst) open source Ruby content management systems.
>
> My leaning is towards Radiant (http://radiantcms.org/). It's well
> documented, has an extensible architecture and seems well supported.
> My main concern is that it's running on Rails 2.3.14 (which makes me
> think there's bound to be a big makeover to Rails 3.x in the pipeline,
> hence instability, broken plugins, etc.).

For what it's worth, our very own lrug.org is running on radiant, and only
last year did I upgrade to a recent version (we were on 0.6.something I
think, and now we're on 0.9.1, the latest release is 1.0.0).  I've been
pretty happy with it, but I'm not exactly using lots of features.

Depending on what you want to do with it later it may be hard to integrate
with, as although it is built on rails, it's not really a rails app.
 Radiant is it's own beast and you want to learn how to integrate with it
forgetting that it's got rails in there somewhere.

Refinery (http://refinerycms.com/) also looks good but I haven't heard
> so much about it. Anyone here used it?

I looked at Refinery for a client project a year or so ago.  It looked ok,
but I felt it was geared towards a very specific sort of page & menu driven
site.  I suspect it's come on quite a bit since then.  It's probably
equivalent in functionality / quality to radiant, but as you say the
community is there for radiant in a way that it doesn't seem to be for
refinery.

Hope this is useful,

Muz