[LRUG] server admin UI on VPS?

Viktor Tron viktor.tron at gmail.com
Mon May 21 10:25:34 PDT 2012

Hi lruggers,

Sorry for this offish email, but so many clever web people here I wanna
hear you.

I developed a rails app. The client also wants to do a lot of management
on the server on the same domain, ideally including:
blog (wordpress)
forum (ideally seeded with a phpforum export, but not crucial)
manage emails, maybe mailing lists
manage subdomains
detailed anaylytics
ftp accounts, manage access
Since for background jobs I almost defo need root access we opted for a
host that offered cpanel-based managed server with root access.
Now apart from the fact that cpanel feels like a thing of the past and
looks like a monster if you look on the server, I also failed to hack
apache config to handle my rails app (running on passenger)
(I simply wanted 2 vhost entries, non-ssl one redirecting to the the other
on ssl, already something impossible to do)

The above seems like a pretty reasonable list of things to want. Now my
question to you. How is this best done?
I do not mind to install wordpress myself and get my hands dirty if you
suggest good solutions to the other tasks?
Are heroku and suchlike rails-friendly hosts offering you these admin UIs
and I am just better off trying to get my rails app working without
insisting on root shell?

I appreciate all comments and pointers

Vik