[LRUG] Who are those super short-term contractors?

David Burrows david at designsuperbuild.com
Tue Nov 20 07:56:44 PST 2012

In my experience there's 2 types of short contract - small greenfield
projects & features on existing apps

Small greenfield projects can be really fun, I usually lean heavily on
frameworks like jQuery, Backbone, Twitter Bootstrap and a starter Rails
project full of the usual suspects (Devise, Omniauth, Carrierwave, Sidekiq,
Compass, etc.) so you have a rolling start. As long as the client is good
and the moneys enough to keep you 100% engaged you can get a lot done
(quality, speed, price, pick any two).

You do need to do some risk assessment if there's any "here be demons"
elements to the project so it's important to do an early spike on anything
that really stands out. A few times things just haven't worked as
advertised (Amazons API springs to mind) so you need to talk to the client
early and handle any issues.

Features on existing apps is another ballgame entirely, I'd second
everything Toby said about tests and code readability. I've seen some real
horrorshows that had no tests at all and pretty much every class had a
reference to every other class (hypercube dependency graphs FTW!) It's all
too easy to get stuck in a morass of refactoring and at the end of 3 weeks
have made very little progress.

The golden rule is always look at the code first and negotiate a budget &
timeline from there. Remember that it's all opportunity cost - slogging
through bad code may be useful if your writing a book on refactoring but
otherwise not so much.

--
David Burrows
079 1234 2125